Safety & Security
Table of Contents
All residents should use their FOB to gain entrance to the building and guests must use the enterphone. For everyone’s safety, please do not open the entrance doors to strangers. Always report any unusual happenings or the presence of unauthorized persons to the Superintendent or if necessary, the police.
Do not hold the entrance/exit doors open for anyone. Doing so permits unauthorized access to the building and reduces your safety and security. When leaving the building, please make sure that the door is closed securely behind you.
Vacations and Other Absences
Notify the Superintendent if you intend to leave for extended periods of time and include a contact person who could be contacted in case of an emergency.
Discontinue newspaper etc. deliveries to your suite and make arrangements with a neighbour to collect your mail or make arrangements with the post office to hold or forward mail.
DO NOT use elevators during a fire alarm. Once a fire alarm signal sounds, all elevators will be brought to the ground floor lobby level automatically, or by the Superintendent using the key switch.
Unit Security System
You can “arm” the security system by entering your personal code. The panel will beep and momentarily display (ARMED!) Then return to the normal state displaying the alarm status.
To disarm the security panel, simply re-enter your code. The panel will beep and momentarily display (DISARMED!) Then return to the normal state displaying the status.
NOTE: Inputting your access code will only activate the alarm panel in your suite. The alarm panels are not monitored, but can be monitored off site by a security company. There might be an insurance discount available for monitored alarms.
Reporting a Fire Emergency
- Address: 66 Bay Street South
- Intersection: Bay and Jackson
Avoiding Fire Hazards
To avoid fire hazards you are advised of the following:
- Purchase an in-suite ABC class fire extinguisher and store it in a readily accessible place.
- Do not do or permit anything to be done in the unit, or bring or keep anything in your unit which will in any way create a risk of fire.
- Do not store propane, gasoline or any other combustible material in your suite, locker or on your terrace.
- Do not put burning materials, such as cigarettes and ashes, into garbage containers.
- Do not dispose of flammable liquids or aerosol cans in the garbage containers.
- Do not use unsafe electrical appliances, frayed extension cords, over-loaded outlets or lamp wire for permanent wiring.
- Do not leave articles, such as shoes, rubbers, mats, etc., in the building halls.
- Disposal of hot items in the garbage may result in fire. Please ensure when depositing items in your garbage pail that they are properly cooled.
- Unplug unused appliances.
Smoke & CO Detectors
Each suite has a fire/smoke/carbon monoxide detector(s) .that is individually wired for each unit and has a battery back-up. The alarm will only be heard within your suite and can be de-activated by clearing the air around the detector.
NOTE: In-suite smoke detectors do NOT activate the fire alarm system. Residents must take appropriate action (e.g., use the pull station, call 911, etc.,) to sound an alarm.
Each suite is equipped with a heat detector. This additional safety feature detects intense heat buildup in your home and activates the fire alarm in the building.
Fire alarm pull stations are installed throughout the building. Never tamper with smoke or heat detectors. Sprinkler protection is provided where required.
Fire Hose Cabinets & Extinguishers
Fire hose cabinets are strategically located in the common area hallway. Each cabinet is also equipped with a dry chemical fire extinguisher. These hoses shall only be used in an emergency situation. In the event a small fire cannot be extinguished with the use of a portable fire extinguisher or the smoke presents a hazard to the operator, then the door to the area should be closed to confine and contain the fire. Leave the fire area, call 911, and wait for the Fire Department.
Once a pull station has been activated the nature and location of the alarm is automatically indicated on a fire alarm/annunciator panel, located in the main entrance foyer.
Wentworth Standard Condominium Corporation 381 accepts no liability for the content of this document, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided.